Governors' Statutory Information
The role of the Governing Body is to work with the Headteacher to:
- determine the aims and curriculum policy in the School
- establish priorities for development
- allocate the School budget so that national requirements and individual pupil needs are met
- interview and appoint staff
- foster good relationships with parents and the local community
- decide how the school is to be used outside school hours
- ensure the premises are well maintained and appropriate for the needs of the school
A full Governors’ Meeting is held each term when any item regarding the school can be discussed. There are also smaller Governor Committees which meet regularly to deal with Finance, Staffing, Premises and Curriculum matters.
The clerk to the Governors is Sarah Prince c/o White Cross Education Centre, PO Box 606, Quarry Road, Lancaster. LA1 3SQ
There are different categories of Governor:
Headteacher - the Headteacher is an automatic – co-opted – member of the Governing Body
Co-opted - co-opted Governors are selected by the Governing Body from any members of the community
Local Authority - the Local Authority selects representative members from volunteers; these are often local councillors or parish representatives and may represent a political party
Parent - parent Governors are elected by the parent body for a period of 4 years. Election details will be sent home when vacancies are available.
Staff - the staff Governor is elected by the school employees
The Chair of Governors, Mr. David Newton, can be contacted using the school's contact details or at the following email address:
Governing bodies are under a duty to publish, on their website, details of the structure and responsibilities of the Governing Body, including information about each Governor (amongst other things, their 'register of interests' and attendance record). This information, for our school, can be found below.