The ‘Learning Challenge Curriculum’ is taught as themed units including Science, Geography, History, Art, Design Technology and Religious Education.
² ² ²
In our first theme we will be exploring the question: “What is so special about the USA?” By the end of the unit we are aiming for the children to be able to:
- know key differences between living in the UK and in a country in North America
- know how to use graphs to record features such as temperature or rainfall across the world
- know the names of many North American countries
- know why the USA has a thriving economy
- know the features of the USA, including its capital, population and languages
- know about issues such as immigration in the USA
know about the climate of the USA and how it compares to the UK
- know what natural resources the USA has
- know basic information about at least four other North American countries.
In our Science theme we will be exploring the question: “Is there anybody out there?” By the end of this unit we are aiming for the children to be able to:
- know about and explain the movement of the Earth and other planets relative to the Sun
- know about and explain the movement of the Moon relative to the Earth
- know and demonstrate how night and day are created
- describe the Sun, Earth and Moon (using the term spherical).
After half-term, in Science, we will be exploring the question: “Have we always looked like this?” By the end of the unit we are aiming for the children to be able to:
- know how the Earth and living things have changed over time
- know how fossils can be used to find out about the past
- know about reproduction and offspring (recognising that offspring normally vary and are not identical to their parents)
- know how animals and plants are adapted to suit their environment
- link adaptation over time to evolution
- know about evolution and can explain what it is
In our Religious Education theme we will be exploring the question: “Why is Diwali celebrated by both Hindus and Sikhs?” and “What is prayer and meditation?” By the end of this unit we are aiming for the children to know about the origins of Hinduism and Sikhism and why Buddhists meditate.